Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Psalm 3 & 4 - Foes and Faith

I'm taken by the fact that the book of Psalms so quickly enters into personal prayers of distress. Psalm 3 is calling upon God for rescue from enemies.

Psalm 3:1-2, 7

Lord, how many are my foes!
How many rise up against me!
Many are saying of me,
“God will not deliver him.”
Arise, Lord!
Deliver me, my God!
Strike all my enemies on the jaw;
break the teeth of the wicked.

Psalm 4 calls upon the people to honor God and know that God cares for His faithful. Rather than chase after lies, the people are urged to control themselves when they are distressed. They are encouraged to trust God. 

The faith of the psalmist is one every person who is in Christ knows. God gives a peace that passes understanding, even in the midst of a violent world.

Psalm 4:6-8

There are many who say, “O that we might see some good!
Let the light of your face shine on us, O Lord!”
You have put gladness in my heart
more than when their grain and wine abound.
I will both lie down and sleep in peace;
for you alone, O Lord, make me lie down in safety. 


Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment