Friday, May 15, 2015

Welcome to Psaltery Air!

Welcome to this blog with brief reflections on the Book of Psalms in the Bible. The Protestant Christian scriptures contain 150 psalms, a collection of poetic prayers and liturgies used by the ancient people of Israel. Christians have used the psalms for spiritual purposes for millennia.  The psalms are also instructive as well as inspiring.

I like to pray the psalms. There are various schedules created by a diversity of traditions to pray through the psalms for personal devotions. There is a 30 day schedule. Three psalms a day keeps the doctor away! There are schedules to pray the psalms according to theme and category. There are psalms to read when you are fighting mad. There are psalms to read when you are terrified for your life. There are psalms to read when you feel sad or depressed. There are psalms to read when you feel overwhelmed and panicked. There are psalms most especially designed to give you a vocabulary of praise to the God who revealed Himself to the world through Israel and through His Christ.

My method isn't scholarly. My reflections are purely personal and immediate. These reflections are personal because I'm simply writing from my own personal experience and reactions to what I have read. These reflections are immediate because I write them immediately after reading the psalm. I generally write first thing in the morning, but not always.

Because I'm in the habit of writing daily for my own personal devotion, I have found I do best by sharing my reflections with others. They seem to appreciate my thoughts and encourage me to keep at it. When I have an audience, I tend to follow through on my devotional aspirations. So let me again welcome you to Psaltery Air, and also to thank you for helping me keep in God's word.

A word on the title of the blog: It's a play on words. The phrase "sultry air" describes a hot and humid air which is close, muggy, heavy and at times oppressive. The words sultry can also point to sensual and sexual adjectives, but I'm not going there. Instead I mean to imply that God is close, like a warm and humid air which you can feel. The closeness of God is a good thing, but as you will see there are times when the closeness of the holy God causes fear and regret, as One so pure witnesses our imperfection. I hope you will experience the closeness of our Creator through these writings and allow God do with you what He desires. God desires for you to have life and have it to the full! So enjoy the Psaltery Air!

No comments:

Post a Comment