Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Psalm 69 - Scorn

Psalm 69:1-9, 13-14, 16, 20-21, 33-35 NIV
Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck. 
I sink in the miry depths, where there is no foothold. 
I have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf me. 
I am worn out calling for help; my throat is parched. 
My eyes fail, looking for my God. 
Those who hate me without reason outnumber the hairs of my head;
 many are my enemies without cause, those who seek to destroy me. 
I am forced to restore what I did not steal.
You, God, know my folly; my guilt is not hidden from you. 
Lord, the Lord Almighty, may those who hope in you
 not be disgraced because of me; God of Israel,
 may those who seek you not be put to shame because of me. 
For I endure scorn for your sake, and shame covers my face. 
I am a foreigner to my own family,
 a stranger to my own mother’s children;
 for zeal for your house consumes me,
 and the insults of those who insult you fall on me.
But I pray to you, Lord, in the time of your favor;
 in your great love, O God, answer me with your sure salvation. 
Rescue me from the mire, do not let me sink;
 deliver me from those who hate me, from the deep waters. 
Answer me, Lord, out of the goodness of your love;
 in your great mercy turn to me.
Scorn has broken my heart and has left me helpless;
 I looked for sympathy, but there was none,
 for comforters, but I found none. 
They put gall in my food and gave me vinegar for my thirst. 
The Lord hears the needy and does not despise his captive people.
Let heaven and earth praise him, the seas and all that move in them,
 for God will save Zion and rebuild the cities of Judah. 
Then people will settle there and possess it...


Psalm 69 is an exile's prayer. The Judeans were deported to Babylon (Iraq) when Nebuchadnezzar sacked Jerusalem. This prayer was written during this time for those living among foreigners, who delight in ridiculing the captive Jews.
But this psalm has also been read as messianic. Who can read, "They put gall in my food and gave me vinegar for my thirst," and not think of Jesus' crucifixion? Christians read such words as prophecy fulfilled. Jesus' life fulfilled many scriptures. The disciples recognized Jesus' fierce response to the moneychangers at the temple as fulfillment of Psalm 69:9.
"Zeal for your house consumes me..."
The hope within the prayer is, of course, the God of Israel. There is hope in God's justice. The prayer cries for retribution against those who heap scorn upon the Jews. The psalm expresses the indignation and pain of being unjustly accused. There's an expectation that God will bring the Jews back to their homeland.
I read the prayer very personally. When you are in leadership there will always be those who disagree with your decisions and dislike your style. Some, in their disgruntlement, make it personal and vilify the leader. We see that in politics constantly. They begin negative press campaigns, recruiting whoever will listen to join in their malcontent.
Scorn breaks the heart. Work for understanding, but sometimes these efforts become useless. The hostility is great and rational thinking is abandoned for contrary opposition. Trumped up accusations of the most ridiculous nature are murmured in private. It's a poison to community.
I appreciate the psalm leading me to look to the One who will work His justice. And so I endure scorn for God's sake and for His holy purpose. I trust in the goodness of His love to rescue me and all those who trust in Him. In time all shall be well.
When others unjustly accuse you of wrongdoing, turn your heart to the Lord. Perhaps you are scorned by your own family because of your faith. Bring your case before the Wise Judge of all the earth. You will be heard. You will be treated with fairness. Your pain will be replaced with peace as you lay your complaint upon the cross of Christ and trust is His deliverance.

No comments:

Post a Comment