Thursday, August 6, 2015

Psalm 70 - Save Me; Stop Them

Psalm 70:1-5 NIV
Hasten, O God, to save me; come quickly, Lord , to help me. 
May those who want to take my life be put to shame and confusion;
 may all who desire my ruin be turned back in disgrace. 
May those who say to me, “Aha! Aha!” turn back because of their shame. 
But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;
 may those who long for your saving help always say, “The Lord is great!” 
But as for me, I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. 
You are my help and my deliverer; Lord , do not delay.


Psalm 70 is a prayer with two basic requests: save me and stop them. The psalmist seeks help from God in the face of those who wish his downfall. He pays for himself and all who trust in God. He asks God to shame and disgrace his enemies.
It's a simple prayer that says what many other psalms take much longer to say. But I want to know is how can a Christian pray this prayer or any prayer that wishes ill upon another person, enemy or otherwise. Jesus told us to pray for those who persecute us and to love our enemies. We are to return evil with good, not seek retribution.
The psalms have always been difficult for Christians for this very reason. But here are these sentiments on holy scripture preserved and read by Christians and Jews alike.
It might be helpful to acknowledge these prayers are before a God the Hebrews trust to exact justice and to keep His faithful people as God has promised. The expression of anger is offered in petitions for justice. How They want to see justice is for the tables to turn on their enemies.
Consider bringing your anger to God through prayer and then, releasing any expectation to carry out punishment yourself, trust the Lord to be just. Retribution is not the highest form of justice. Restoration of relationship is.
Therefore bring your anger to God. Use the psalms to find your voice and express the depths of your emotions. Then forgive. Do your part in restoring peace by letting go of the desire to get even. Trust God alone to exact justice in whatever form God decides appropriate.

Psalm 70:4 NIV
But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; 
may those who long for your saving help always say, “The Lord is great!”

No comments:

Post a Comment