Sunday, August 9, 2015

Psalm 71 - Life Long Worshiper

Psalm 71:1-3, 6-8, 12-14, 18-20 NIV
In you, Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame. 
In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me;
 turn your ear to me and save me. 
Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go;
 give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.
From birth I have relied on you;
 you brought me forth from my mother’s womb. 
I will ever praise you. I have become a sign to many;
 you are my strong refuge. 
My mouth is filled with your praise,
 declaring your splendor all day long.
Do not be far from me, my God; come quickly, God, to help me. 
May my accusers perish in shame;
 may those who want to harm me be covered with scorn and disgrace. 
As for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more. 
Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God,
 till I declare your power to the next generation,
 your mighty acts to all who are to come.
Your righteousness, God, reaches to the heavens,
 you who have done great things. 
Who is like you, God? 
Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter,
 you will restore my life again;
 from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up.


Psalm 71 is remarkable. Not only does it reflect a worshiper's deep confidence in the Lord's faithfulness, this confidence extends beyond the grave. There are few Old Testament passages that speak of any kind of life after death. It could simply be hyperbolic poetry, overstating the case, but as a Christian I certainly see hope in resurrection in the psalm.
"you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up." (Psalm 71:20)
I also love the idea in verse 3.
"Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go"
The strength I take from the thought that Jesus, my rock, is always there as a safe refuge is wonderfully powerful.
This psalm displays the heart of a life long worshipper. He has known God through the faith community since infancy. He has learned the value of praise. He sees himself as a positive sign to others testifying to the faithfulness of God. He wants to praise God forever, to always be included in the worshiping community, even when he is old and gray.
While his enemies will surely fall away in disgrace for persecuting one of God's chosen, he expects to praise the Lord more and more.
As for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more. (Psalm 71:14)
How's your worship? Allow this psalm to stir up hope and fill your mouth with praise. May your life become a sign to others pointing to the faithful love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment