Thursday, August 13, 2015

Psalm 75 - Strength

Psalm 75:1-3, 5-7, 9-10 NIV
We praise you, God, we praise you, for your Name is near;
 people tell of your wonderful deeds. 
You say, “I choose the appointed time;
 it is I who judge with equity. 
When the earth and all its people quake,
 it is I who hold its pillars firm.

Do not lift your horns against heaven; do not speak so defiantly.
 No one from the east or the west
 or from the desert can exalt themselves. 
It is God who judges: He brings one down, he exalts another.

As for me, I will declare this forever;
 I will sing praise to the God of Jacob, who says,
 “I will cut off the horns of all the wicked,
  but the horns of the righteous will be lifted up.”


Psalm 75! I am halfway through the book of Psalms today. A friend of mine suggested I am not accurate because Psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible, is yet to come. Still I celebrate.
Psalm 75 uses the imagery of horns to depict strength. To raise up a horn is to raise one's force. In the case of nations it's military strength. In the case of individuals I tend to think of inner strength, one's will, which can be raised for good or evil.
The psalm declares God as the sovereign who governs this earth. Leaders rise and fall. The view of the Bible is that God decides who and when. Whether you embrace this view or not you can't ignore the strength that faith in God's good governance gives to those who hold the conviction.
The psalm says God holds the world steady when we're all shaking. (Psalm 75:3) The Name of the Lord is near, meaning God's sovereign authority is at hand. The faithful take delight in God's righteous administration. They believe it pointless to defy the Lord. The righteous will be strengthened and the wicked weakened.
Consider what a worldview with a benevolent and righteous God reigning might do for your strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment