Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Psalm 81 - Unknown Voice

Psalm 81:1-14 NIV
Sing for joy to God our strength; shout aloud to the God of Jacob! 
Begin the music, strike the timbrel, play the melodious harp and lyre. 
Sound the ram’s horn at the New Moon, and when the moon is full,
 on the day of our festival; this is a decree for Israel,
 an ordinance of the God of Jacob. 
When God went out against Egypt,
 he established it as a statute for Joseph.

I heard an unknown voice say: “I removed the burden from their shoulders;
 their hands were set free from the basket. 
In your distress you called and I rescued you,
 I answered you out of a thundercloud;
 I tested you at the waters of Meribah. 
Hear me, my people, and I will warn you—
 if you would only listen to me, Israel! 
You shall have no foreign god among you;
 you shall not worship any god other than me. 
I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. 
Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.

“But my people would not listen to me; 
Israel would not submit to me. 
So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices. 
“If my people would only listen to me, if Israel would only follow my ways,
 how quickly I would subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes!


Psalm 81 gives is a chance to hear God's perspective during the exile in Babylon. The material we now possess in the Old Testament was complied during our immediately after this period of exile. This national crisis appears in the texts routinely. Psalm 81 is written like some passages you will find in the prophets' writings.
First the psalmist speaks calling the people to worship as commanded in the law of Moses. Then he claims he heard an unknown voice. The unknown voice is from God.
That's a curious and almost creepy phrase. The unknown usually causes excitement as we discover something we've never seen or known before. The unknown can also cause fear as we imagine danger in the revealing. The unknown voice of God speaks.
Perhaps the voice of God is unknown because the people haven't been listening. Again and again God says the people do not listen. They do not follow His ways. God pleas with them, " Hear me, my people, and I will warn you— if you would only listen to me, Israel!" (Psalm 81:8)
Because of Israel's lack of obedience God let them walk the path of their own choosing and suffer the consequences. Other psalms during the exile cry out to God asking, "Why have you forgotten us? How long will you ignore our prayers? Will you be angry forever?" Psalm 81 gives an answer to such questions. It is their idolatry, their unfaithfulness to the Lord which has brought about their suffering in exile.
God delivered them from slavery in Egypt. He led them out with a mighty hand and brought them to the promised land. He will deliver them again, if they would only listen to the voice of God recorded in the scriptures. If they would train their hearts to heed God's written word they might be able to hear and know the unknown voice. By hearing they will be fed. By heeding they will be led out of bondage and returned safely to home in peace and plenty.
When you are feeling exiled, out of place, seek the Lord. Listen for His voice. Search the scriptures. Pray and be guided by His wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment