Friday, June 5, 2015

Psalm 17 - Gimme Shelter


Psalm 17:6-8 NIV

I call on you, my God, for you will answer me;
turn your ear to me and hear my prayer. 
Show me the wonders of your great love, 
you who save by your right hand 
those who take refuge in you from their foes. 
Keep me as the apple of your eye; 
hide me in the shadow of your wings...

Psalm 17 is another cry for deliverance from enemies. The psalm starts out with the writer claiming his innocence before God, as a means to assure that God will hear his prayers. He then turns to this beautiful plea for God's protection.

"Show me the wonders of your great love!" If only the psalmist knew the great love God has for us. If only he knew that the Christ was coming, that God would give His only Son to atone for the sins of the world, including those of our enemies.

"Keep me as the apple of your eye!" Just as a mother dotes on her children, God delights in His children. God smiles upon those who come to Him in trust. You are God's treasured possession.

"Hide me in the shelter of your wings!" This is also a beautiful image comparing the love of God to the nurturing protection of a mother bird covering her children beneath her wings.

Remember that God loves you always and gave His son up for you, so that you might have eternal life. Eternal life is to know God and His Son Jesus Christ whom He sent. (John 17:3) God delights in those who love and obey Him. God shelters and protects His beloved children. And God will lead us beyond our mortal life into eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment