Sunday, June 28, 2015

Psalm 38 - Confession Cleanses

Psalm 38:1-4, 8, 10, 15, 17-18, 21-22 NIV


Lord , do not rebuke me in your anger
or discipline me in your wrath.
Your arrows have pierced me,
and your hand has come down on me.
Because of your wrath there is no health in my body;
there is no soundness in my bones because of my sin.
My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear.
I am feeble and utterly crushed;
I groan in anguish of heart.
My heart pounds, my strength fails me;
even the light has gone from my eyes....


Lord , I wait for you;
you will answer, Lord my God.
For I am about to fall, and my pain is ever with me.
I confess my iniquity;
I am troubled by my sin.
Lord, do not forsake me;
do not be far from me, my God.
Come quickly to help me, my Lord and my Savior.




Psalm 51 is the most popular prayer of confession in the psalter. But Psalm 38 is a fantastic description of guilt.


Sin drives a wedge is our relationship with God. We are estranged from the source of life and deep down we feel it. We may not be able to name it due to our ignorance of God, but we know something inside is nagging.


The full text of the psalm describes a person in utter pain and disarray. What course does he take to address his awful state?


Confession. Confession cleanses the soul and opens us to restoration. God forgives. We are wiser. We return to faithfulness.


Lord , I wait for you; you will answer, Lord my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment