Monday, June 22, 2015

Psalm 33 - Loud Noise

Psalm 33:3 KJVA

Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

I love the Lord! I love rock 'n' roll! This one verse from Psalm 33 has been sort of a theme for me. I delight in the fact that its Psalm 33, verse 3. The RPM speed of a vinyl album is 33.3 rpm. I feel God smiling as I praise him with a loud noise on my Fender Stratocaster with my amplifier cranked.

As a child I was told rock music was the devil's music. I get it. I do understand that perspective. Rock music is filled with glorious teenage rebellion. It's that urgent desire for liberation, for justice, for self expression. That urge can be expressed in selfish and devilish ways, but not necessarily so.

I had the idea that everyone in the 60's and 70's were drunk and stoned. But it's just not true. Alcohol and drug consumption were prevalent, it certainly wasn't universal. There were plenty of people kept their noses clean literally and morally. I just decided those folks were boring. I was wrong.

Psalm 33 celebrates the Lord and calls on the upright to praise Him. In fact, this psalm says, it is right for the upright to praise Him. Will the Lord accept praises from The foul mouth and the scoundrel?

The psalmist celebrates God's Word as faithful and true. By God's Word the heavens and earth were created. Then the psalm turns to invite all people, including the rebellious, the rock and rollers, to worship the Lord.

Psalm 33:8, 10-11, 13-15, 21 NIV

Let all the earth fear the Lord; 
let all the people of the world revere him. 
The Lord foils the plans of the nations; 
he thwarts the purposes of the peoples. 
But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, 
the purposes of his heart through all generations. 
From heaven the Lord looks down and sees all mankind; 
from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth— 
he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do. 
In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.

The New Testament helps us to see that God has reconciled himself to the entire world through Jesus Christ. God's ear is open to any who would praise Him. Indeed God doesn't want anyone to perish but all to come to him.

However you make music in your heart, tune your heart toward the one who watches over you. Tune your heart to the one who considers all that you do. Know that the will of the creator outlasts us all. We might as well join his song. I'm going to do it with a Fender Strat and a loud noise!

No comments:

Post a Comment