Monday, June 15, 2015

Psalm 27 - Orphans


Psalm 27:1, 4, 8-10, 14 NIV

The Lord is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? 
The Lord is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? 
One thing I ask from the Lord , this only do I seek: 
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, 
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. 
My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” 
Your face, Lord , I will seek. 
Do not hide your face from me, 
do not turn your servant away in anger; 
you have been my helper. 
Do not reject me or forsake me, God my Savior. 
Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me. 
Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord .


Psalm 27 is another plea for deliverance from enemies. Because the psalmist knows the Lord, Yahweh, the God of Israel, he is able to affirm his confidence. Though he may feel fear, he turns his thoughts to the might of God, a God who has bound Himself in promise to Israel. God protects His faithful. The covenant promise is protection from enemies and victory over all assailants, as long as Israel keeps the Covenant law.

But there is more than simple desire for deliverance here. There's a desire to worship. There is a desire for intimacy with the Lord. His heart cries, "Seek His face!" He longs to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord in His temple.

Personally I am touched by his sense of intimacy with God. He trusts that the Lord will never forsake him. "Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me."

In another place the Psalms say that God is a father to the fatherless. We all know of domestic strife and brokenness in our families. We all have heard of deadbeat dads, and women who are unfit to be mothers. We have modern day orphans walking our streets and living in apartment dwellings without appropriate adult supervision. Would that we could connect these lost children to the intimate care of the living God.

Lord, watch over all of your lost children, old and young, large and small. Bring them to know with confidence your loving embrace and powerful protection. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment