Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Psalm 28 - Distinction

Psalm 28:1-3, 6-7 NIV

To you, Lord , I call; you are my Rock, 
do not turn a deaf ear to me. 
For if you remain silent, 
I will be like those who go down to the pit. 
Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help, 
as I lift up my hands toward your Most Holy Place. 
Do not drag me away with the wicked, 
with those who do evil, 
who speak cordially with their neighbors 
but harbor malice in their hearts. 
Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy. 
The Lord is my strength and my shield; 
my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. 
My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.


Psalm 28 offers a look at a prayer for help and salvation. The prayer makes a distinction between the righteous and the wicked. This is a popular theme in the psalms.

God made a distinction between Israel and the rest of the nations when He called them to be His holy people. Sometimes we feel indignant to think God chose one nation over the rest of us! It wasn't God's purpose to dishonor the other nations. God did not choose Israel as a favorite to make all the other nations jealous. Rather God chose Israel as a sign and a light through which all nations might be blessed.

Israel was given the Law of Moses and, by living according to the law, God's blessings were showered upon the nation. The rest of the world could see the blessed state of the holy nation and perhaps desire to enter into covenant the living God.

Jesus is the culmination of this plan. He came through Israel, a child of the holy nation. He lived a holy life, never once falling to sin. He gave His life as an atoning sacrifice for the world. He is the way to join Israel in covenant with God, not through Moses, but through the faith in this good news. All who trust in Him will not be dragged away with the wicked. Instead they will be filled with joy and join in worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment