Sunday, June 14, 2015

Psalm 26 - Blameless?


Psalm 26:1-3, 8-9, 11-12 NIV

Vindicate me, Lord, for I have led a blameless life; 
I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered. 
Test me, Lord, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; 
for I have always been mindful of your unfailing love 
and have lived in reliance on your faithfulness. 
Lord, I love the house where you live, 
the place where your glory dwells. 
Do not take away my soul along with sinners, 
my life with those who are bloodthirsty, 
I lead a blameless life; deliver me and be merciful to me. 
My feet stand on level ground; 
in the great congregation I will praise the Lord.


Psalm 26 is a perfect psalm for checking your own attitude before going to worship. There is one problem with it however, it is written from the perspective of the Old Covenant under Moses. The understanding of the worshiper is that, as long as he kept all the rules of the Covenant, he is righteous and able to stand before God blameless.

The Apostle Paul wrote of his own journey as a Jewish religious leader that he was blameless.

Philippians 3:4-6 NIV

"If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless."

But then the Lord Jesus Christ opened his eyes to the truth. All of us fall short of the glory of God. Sin isn't just about do's and don'ts. It is a power within us that resists the authority of the creator. This power does not wish to be contained, or ordered, or shaped and molded. Its tendency is to lead toward chaos and disharmony. All selfish behavior that denies the rights and needs of others, is driven by this power we call sin. None of us are immune to it. We are born with it. We need a Savior to deliver us from sin. None of us are blameless.

That is why the good news is so joyous! God came to us in the flesh of Jesus Christ and offered up his life as an atoning sacrifice to not only wash away sin once for all, but to conquer its power within the flesh of humanity. He replaced sin with the greater power of grace so that we could live truly as children of God. Our hearts are changed to desire God's will and we are given the power to do it.

As you prepare for worship today, or as you prepare to spend your Sunday morning doing something else, consider your attitude toward the worship of God. Remember that Jesus taught a parable about a tax collector and a Pharisee. The tax collector beat his chest with his head bowed and cried, "Have mercy on me a sinner." That man went home right with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment