Friday, June 19, 2015

Psalm 31 - In His Hands

Psalm 31:5, 9, 12, 14-16, 19-20, 23-24 NIV

Into your hands I commit my spirit; 
deliver me, Lord , my faithful God. 
Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am in distress; 
my eyes grow weak with sorrow, 
my soul and body with grief. 
I am forgotten as though I were dead; 
I have become like broken pottery. 
But I trust in you, Lord; 
I say, “You are my God.” 
My times are in your hands; 
deliver me from the hands of my enemies,
 from those who pursue me. 
Let your face shine on your servant; 
save me in your unfailing love. 
How abundant are the good things 
that you have stored up for those who fear you, 
that you bestow in the sight of all, 
on those who take refuge in you. 
In the shelter of your presence 
you hide them from all human intrigues; 
you keep them safe in your dwelling from accusing tongues. 
Love the Lord, all his faithful people! 
The Lord preserves those who are true to him, 
but the proud he pays back in full. 
Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.


Psalm 31 is lengthy and very powerful. It speaks of the connection between grief, anguish and sorrow, and the bodily effects these powerful feelings have. His eyes grow weak. His bones grow weak. His strength fails. He is an object of dread before his neighbors. His condition has isolated him. He feels thrown out with the trash, like a piece of broken pottery.

I know when I'm having a bad day I can feel like the psalmist: hurting, isolated, and feeling like trash. But then I remember who I am and whose I am. I am covenanted with God through Jesus Christ. I take refuge in Him.

Because I trust that God is good and has good planned for me, I am content to commit my spirit into His hands. I happily acknowledge my times are in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment